March 19, 2011

The Hangman's Curse (the Veritas Project #1)

Title: The Hangman's Curse (the Veritas Project #1)
Author: Frank Peretti
Publisher: STL (?)
Year of Publication: 2001
Reader's Rating: 4

In a Nutshell: Basically, the Veritas team (Elijah and Elisha Springfield, teenage twins, and their parents, Sarah and Nate) is a special team, privately and secretly funded, and is called to take on those especially strange cases no one else has solved from a Christian perspective. On this book, they take on The Hangman's Curse, the mysterious ghost of Abel Frye. So far three kids from Baker High are in the hospital because of it and it's the team's job to find out why. Is it some sick practical joke done by human hands or are spirits really involved? And so the investigation begins. But they soon find that time is running out. More and more victims have been targeted, students and teachers alike, and two kids have been found dead. The Veritas team must find a way to stop this before things get out of control. Or have they already?

The Good Stuff: This book is Christian fiction, by Christian author Frank Peretti. This series, I should say, talks about Truth and presents its case against what man has been taught about things like God and creation. I should also say that this book was definitely not "preach-y" just because it's Christian. There's actually not much in it about Christianity; it talks more about Truth (hence the name Veritas, Latin for truth). Also, the story was absolutely thrilling! It really had me in suspense.


The Bad Stuff: Like I said, there's not much about Christianity in the story. It was a good story but there wasn't as much information that I wanted, especially coming from Frank Peretti, one of my favorite authors. When I read this book, it felt like reading horror. It's not that scary, of course, but I'm not really used to reading horror so, for me, some parts were definitely creepy.


Reader's Say: I liked it, but there could have been more. The ending reminded me too much of a certain movie. The story was awesome but since this book is supposed to be about Truth, I think there should have been more about that.

2 comments:

  1. Hangman's Curse was actually such a cool story (a little creepy though). But I agree, there could have been more said about truth. I haven't read the second book yet, but I'd like to see how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ate Jemi, I've read the second book and it was good too, I guess, but Hangman's Curse is still better. :)

    ReplyDelete