July 15, 2011

The Friendship Doll

Title: The Friendship Doll
Author: Kirby Larson
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Year of Publication: 2011 [Yes, it's new!]
Reader's Rating: 4

Excerpt: " I feel a twinge inside my muslin chest, under the left side of my kimono. Since the day I was created, I have never had a moment of feeling unwell. What is causing this pain now?
I have heard it does hurt a bit, Miss Japan comforts me.
What does? I ask.
Being awakened.
What do I do to make it stop?
But Miss Japan gives no answer."

In a Nutshell: The Friendship Doll tells of the life and experiences of Miss Kanagawa, a Japanese doll sent from Japan to America, and how she meets four different girls, each with different stories. Bunny, the mischief-maker, is the first she meets. Then Lois, the dreamer. Then she meets Willie Mae, who, as the book says, not only awakened her heart but also broke it. And Lucy, her truest and most faithful friend.

The Good Stuff: The book is very well written. The story is just amazing (it's a Newberry Honor winner, after all!). I can't even describe it. The best part was the ending; it almost got me emotional! This book is a definite must-read.

The Not-So-Good Stuff: I don't really think there were any in this book.

Reader's Say: I enjoyed the story. I think Kirby Larson is a really good author. Now I want to read more of her books!

No comments:

Post a Comment