October 22, 2011

The Mysterious Benedict Society

Title: The Mysterious Benedict Society
Author: Trenton Lee Stewart
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Year of Publication: 2007
Reader's Rating: 4 - I really liked it.

Excerpt: “You must remember, family is often born of blood, but it doesn't depend on blood. Nor is it exclusive of friendship. Family members can be your best friends, you know. And best friends, whether or not they are related to you, can be your family.”

In a Nutshell: A special ad appears in the paper, looking for gifted children. This ad unites four very different yet very special children, the final four chosen to take on a secret and dangerous mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. These four--Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance--must take on challenges that not even adults could solve, whether physical, mental, or even emotional. Will they reach success after all?

The Good Stuff: I loved how this book was very thought-provoking (it gave me a little head knowledge on Morse code too). I also loved the immense vocabulary it contained! This book is for kids, not even teens, yet it had words that I didn't know the meaning of. The characters were also good.

The Not-So-Good Stuff: The parts about the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened and the mind-controlling definitely creeped me out.

Reader's Say: I loved reading this book, and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. I also liked how the puzzles were mind-bending yet possible to answer by kids and teens. I especially liked the one at the end, to find out Mr. Benedict's first name, which was directed to the readers. The illustrations were also very good! I loved the illustrator's style; the fonts were so perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment