December 13, 2010

Anne of Green Gables

Title: Anne of Green Gables
Author: L. M. Montgomery
Publisher:
Year of Publication:
Reader's Rating: 3.5 [Please see my post on ratings. :)]

In a Nutshell: Anne Shirley is a spirited, young girl with a huge imagination who is accidentally adopted (by a brother and a sister who have no children) and comes to live at Green Gables. Her adventures are nonstop, from dyeing her hair green to getting her best friend drunk (accidentally, of course).

The Good Stuff: Anne is imaginative and smart, just the type of person I want to be. Her adventures may include outrageous things, but she always, always learns from her mistakes and does try to be better. The language in the book is great for all ages (except for really young children, of course, say five or six).

The Not-So-Good Stuff: I don't really think there were any "not-so-good stuff." Sometimes, though, I'd skip a few sentences because they weren't written in modern language and I couldn't understand (but the rest of the book is still very, very understandable).

Reader's Say: I loved it. Anne is so awesome. This book actually contains her first years at Green Gables, when she was eleven or twelve, to the time when she was about sixteen. I was kind of dismayed at that because I wanted to hear more about her growing up years, but it was okay. The story compensated for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment