December 13, 2010

Flipped

Title: Flipped
Author: Wendelin van Draanen
Publisher: Random House
Year of Publication: 2001
Reader's Rating: 2.5 [Please see my post on ratings because a 2.5 for me doesn't mean that I don't like it! :)]

In a Nutshell: Juli Baker has always thought of Bryce and his brilliant blue eyes as dazzling and dreamy, ever since the second grade, in fact. Meanwhile, Bryce Loski has always thought of Juli as weird and annoying, ever since the second grade. The story jumps back and forth between Juli and Bryce and tells things about their families, school, and each other from their point of view. Things get a little more complicated and change when Juli and Bryce reach their teen years. Bryce suddenly starts seeing Juli in a different light and finds that he's flipped for her once crazy, now cool ways. Juli, on the other hand, sees past Bryce's "brilliant blue eyes" and wonders if he's really as dreamy as she thought. What will happen to Bryce? What will happen to Juli? Will it work out in the end?

The Good Stuff: The story was okay. No kissing, but...(see below)..

The Not-So-Good-Stuff: Someone did try to kiss someone. :( I also don't like the way Bryce's sister acts. The story, like I said, was okay but I felt like it ended abruptly, and needed something more. I think there's a sequel but I'm still not so sure.

Reader's Say: I love how the title fits perfectly with the story. Juli feels one thing about Bryce, and he feels another about her. Towards the end, they flip and feel the opposite of what they first felt.The story isn't very deep, but it was okay (my mom loved it, though, and I have no idea why).

No comments:

Post a Comment